The following tips can help you and your family stay safer at home:
- Lock your door, even when you intend to return home shortly or even if you are just going down the hall. It take a ten seconds or less to enter an open room and steal your property.
- Lock or secure doors and windows when you are alone or asleep.
- Keep emergency numbers by your phone.
- Do not let strangers enter your premises.
- If someone asks to borrow your phone, offer to telephone for them instead of allowing them access.
- Know your neighbors.
- Do not leave keys in hiding places; thieves will find them.
- Call 911 to report suspicious persons or activity in or around your neighborhood.
- Keep PIN cards in a safe place and keep your PIN number secret. If possible, only use ATMs during the day
- If you find yourself in immediate danger, call 911; try to stay calm and get away at the first opportunity.